- Pantone has picked greenery — “a yellow-green shade that evokes the first days of spring” — as the colour for 2017.
- Franca Sozzani, editor-in-chief of Vogue Italia, has passed away at age 66.
- China Machado, who in 1959 became the first non-white model to be featured in Harper’s Bazaar and who paved the way for diversity, also died earlier this month.
- Christina Binkley, style columnist at The Wall Street Journal, is leaving the paper after 23 years.
- Pinterest’s in-house data team predicts that backless footwear, bell sleeves, and patches and stickers on gadgets and clothing will be among the top trends for 2017.
- Make-up artist Bobbi Brown is stepping down from her eponymous brand.
- Nike is expanding its range of plus-size activewear to more than 200 products in 2017.
Fun Fashion Fact
Did you know that the first duffle coats were commissioned by the Royal British Navy “to keep sailors dry and warm through sea-faring conditions in the 1890s.” The toggle closures were easier to handle with gloved hands, and the generous hoods could fit over navy-issue hats. It is said that the weather-proof coats were named after the Belgian city of Duffel, which was well-known at the time for making a thick, black wool textile of the same name.