The ubiquitous basic T-shirt is a popular item with clients because it’s comfortable, casual, forgiving on the midsection, and easy to launder. No one feels overdressed in a T-shirt. It can be dressed up with a jacket, jewellery and heels, or used as a layering piece. T-shirts are such an extremely common item in everyday dressing that people can’t help but feel emotionally comfortable wearing them.
I’ve been encouraging clients to think beyond the basic T-shirt because they don’t feel fabulous in them (despite wearing them quite frequently). Wear T-shirts with interesting design details, especially if you’re wearing them without a jacket, and you’ll feel the difference.
Here’s an assortment of not-so-basic T-shirts, many of which have been winners with clients. They span an assortment of price points and silhouettes. Many styles are offered in different colours.
- Stateside Striped Peplum Tee: A horizontal stripe in a high-low peplum tee is quite unique. Works on most body types, and does not look overly precious.
- MELISSA MCCARTHY SEVEN7 V-Neck Dolman Sleeve Mixed Media Peplum Top (Plus Size): Flouncy fabness in a flattering fit. Very forgiving on the midsection. The curved hem and tailored sleeves add plenty of structure.
- Clu Too Ruffle Hem T-Shirt: This one is for Team Pretty, and looks as good in navy. No need to wear a camisole. I love the eyelet trim. Best on narrow arms because the sleeves are quite snug.
- Karen Kane Lace Inset Tank: A sleeveless tunic with inset ruffle. The top tank portion of the top fits quite closely to the body and the armholes aren't wide. A great layering piece too.
- The Great Ruffle Tee: A style that works best on an apple shaped body type. Good on petites.
- Clu Too Fringe Trimmed T-Shirt: A little '70s fringe to bring out your Modern Retro side. Runs small.
- Clu Too Ruffled Short Sleeve Top: A white woven ruffle makes a blah grey tee look girly. Romantic Sporty for the win. Runs small. Best on narrow arms because the sleeves are quite snug.
- The Ruffle Tee: A great shape for an apple shaped body type with a small or regular sized bust. Forgiving on the midsection, but not overly voluminous. Diagonal sleeves have plenty of room.
- Deconstructed Tee: A deconstructed tee with cold shoulders makes a trendy statement. You can wear a regular black bra with this top.
- Two by Vince Camuto Handkerchief Hem Tunic Tee: Dramatic Handkerchief Hem Fabness. Great on Team Tall. Quite sheer but doable without a camisole. Runs big.
- Lush Knit Tee: A drapey tee that's super soft and comfortable. The pocket works just fine on a larger bust. The back V-neck is a fun detail. Runs big. The neckline might hang too low on petites, unless your shoulders are broad.
- Clu Too Ruffled Striped Top: Double Striped Ruffle Fabness. The woven narrow ruffle stands out quite stiffly, which is part of the appeal. Great neckline for long necks and/or small bust lines. Might not work on a pear shape because the hem of the tee does not flare out or stretch. Runs small and short.
- MELISSA MCCARTHY SEVEN7 Mixed Media Layer Look Top (Plus Size): A relaxed yet polished jersey tunic with a mixed media hemline. Forgiving on the midsection. Very sheer, so needs a camisole.
- Zara Printed T-shirt: A cold shoulder tee in an interesting border print with blue piping. Looks good semi-tucked or untucked.
- Zara Double Stripe Faded T-shirt: An oversized fuzzy striped tee with an elastic hem. Good on most body types if you're happy with the volume. This style of sleeve can look quite good on a larger bust. No cami required.
- Harlowe And Graham Ribbed Curved Short Sleeve Tee (Petite): Casual Asymmetrical Fabness to wear over white jeans with tan shoes. Great on petites.
Browse the collection page to see the items alongside my descriptions.