Spring and Summer collections are drawing to a close and it’s your last chance to inject a bit of “now” into your wardrobe. We’ve spent six months sharing Spring 2008 trends and here is my must-have list that cuts across body types, age groups and budgets:
- White bottoms: Choose jeans, pants, clamdiggers, walk shorts, a skirt or dress in white. The fresh addition of a white bottom packs plenty of punch to a Summer ensemble. It’s an instant contemporary edge.
- A white accessory: Think white handbags, belts, shoes, chunky beads and watches. If optical white is not your thing, opt for off-white or cream instead.
- Colourful shoes: Get yourself out of the neutral shoe rut and incorporate a cheerful ped in yellow, green, turquoise, purple, orange, pink or blue. If the thought of a bright shoe scares you, go for red, metallic or animal print instead. It’s not quite the same, but I’ll settle for these alternatives.
- A colouful handbag: Get yourself out of the neutral handbag rut. I’ll accept red, metallic or animal print too (faux zebra, giraffe or pony get my vote).
- Clamdiggers or walk shorts: They are the answer to cropped pants.
- A day dress: Nothing keeps you as cool as an A-line, knee-length dress. If you live in hot weather, make this a staple. If frocks aren’t your fancy, try to keep at least one on the back burner to haul out on an extra girly day.
- A cardigan: The layering staple that looks good over just about anything.
- A voluminous item: A superb current trend that can be interpreted in a variety of ways. Whether it’s in the form of wide-legged pants, lantern sleeves, trapeze jackets, roomy tunics, sack sheaths, baby dolls or billowing blouses, choose one that suits your body type and go with the flow.
- A wedge: It’s the modern-day heel. Add it in a metal or shade of white and you’ve got a go-to Summer shoe.
- A global accent: Add a tribal twist to your look with an exotic bangle, animal print item or safari inspired piece. Interpret this trend your way and make a statement.
Floral prints, gladiators, shirt dresses, cropped jackets and waist-cinching belts are great trends but not for everyone. You’re fine investing in patent, skinnies and straight leg jeans. These items have become basics and we’ll see them every season.
End-of-season sales have begun. Start ticking off your Summer shopping list and look fab.